This Caramel Shortcake is a favourite recipe of mine and always goes down well. It can be a bit fiddly to prepare but it is well worth the effort. The recipe is made up of three different stages.
Stage 1: Shortcake Base
3.5 Oz of Butter
4 Tbs of Brown Sugar
4.5 Oz Plain Flour
To prepare the shortcake base:
1) Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and add flour.
2) Press into 8 inch square tin and bake at gas mark 4 for 25mins until golden.
3) Allow to cool.
Stage 2: Caramel Filling
1 Oz of Butter
1 Oz Sugar
7 Fl. Oz of Condensed Milk
To prepare the caramel filling:
1) Mix all ingredients in a pan and boil until thick for 4 mins.
2) Pour over biscuit base and leave to set.
Stage 3: Chocolate Topping
7 Oz Milk Chocolate
To prepare the chocolate topping:
1) Melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
2) Pour mixture over the caramel.
3) Allow to cool slightly before placing in the fridge for about 2 hours to set.
When set, cut into slices and serve.
Here's a quick shot of the finished product before it's demolished!
Have a lovely day!